Chaosium founder Greg Stafford passed away a year ago today, in his sweat lodge at his home in Arcata, CA. He died as he lived, on a spiritual quest of enlightenment.
Today, one year on, company President Rick Meints expresses the sentiments we all feel at Chaosium:
"Even though a year has passed since Greg went on his last shamanic journey, we often feel his absence. We want to thank all of the many, many people who have reached out to us via email, online, and in person, often at the conventions we attend, to let us know how much he impacted their lives. As we continue crafting our games it is hard not to think of him; each and every Chaosium game line was impacted by his creative touch.
Greg's spirit remains with us, his words echo loudly, and we are honored to be the keepers of his legacy. As part of that we, the Chaosium, want to memorialize him with the first “We are all us” series of events – playing games, meeting new people, and experiencing something new."
#weareallus - Play a Tabletop Game to Remember Greg Stafford
To honor Greg Stafford's legacy and with his family's blessing, we encourage Chaosium fans and gamers in general to play a tabletop game from October 10 to October 31 in his remembrance and honour.
Later today, we'll be releasing five FREE scenarios for all our major game systems you can play.
The adventures are:
- The Lightless Beacon (Call of Cthulhu) by Leigh Carr with Lynne Hardy
- The Sword of Kings (7th Sea) by John Wick
- The Quest of the Red Blade (King Arthur Pendragon) by Greg Stafford
- The Rattling Wind (RuneQuest) by Helena Nash - a preview chapter of our forthcoming RQG release The Pegasus Plateau
- Highwall Inn (HeroQuest Glorantha) by Ian Cooper
UPDATE: All five adventures can be downloaded free here:
Or play any of Greg's games, or a game he influenced (that scope is **wide**)
Or play any game at all - as Greg said in his last public speech at the 2018 ENnies, the gaming industry only exists because of your enthusiasm and support. We at Chaosium recognise that countless RPG fans are fans (including us!) because of Greg Stafford and what he achieved.
- Feel free to share an image of your game on social media or at BRP Central, with the hashtag #WeAreAllUs.
- Show the "Greg Rune" (aka the Sartar Rune) in your post - copy and print the image here, or from Redbubble (all "Greg Rune" merchandise is currently available at cost, with no artist margin).
What better way to honor Greg's legacy than getting your friends together and playing a game!
#WeAreAllUs —from everyone in the Chaosium team.