A Guide to the Mythic Fantasy World of Glorantha!
Chaosium Unveiled: Inside The Glorantha Sourcebook
The Glorantha Sourcebook is an essential resource for Greg Stafford’s world of Glorantha, one of the most extensively developed and renowned fantasy settings of all time. A world of mythology, gods, and heroes, Glorantha has inspired roleplaying games, board games, computer games, comics, fiction, and more, a setting beloved and revered worldwide.
An invaluable resource for gamemasters, players, and readers of fantasy worlds, this sourcebook is gorgeously illustrated and filled with informative maps and diagrams. Drawn from a variety of out-of-print and rare sources, this material has been dramatically revised, updated, and expanded. Alongside this foundational material are new essays, insights, and extrapolations on the world and its incredible denizens.
Inside this sourcebook, you’ll learn about the creation of the world; the main ages of its past; the history of Dragon Pass and its people; the pantheons of the gods, including the Lightbringer and Lunar pantheons; the Coming of Argrath; Elder Races such as the Elves, Dragonewts, Dwarves, and Trolls; genealogies of the major royal dynasties; legends and lore of the various tribes and peoples inhabiting Glorantha; the fundaments of Gloranthan magic and the Runes that shape the world; the history and gods of the mighty Lunar Empire; and finally, the Hero Wars!
“Glorantha is my personal North Star as an author of vast fantasy game narratives… a sacred but unattainable goal.”
-- Ken Rolston, The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Oblivion.
The Glorantha Sourcebook covers the following subjects:
- Geography: A basic overview of the geography of Glorantha.
- History of Dragon Pass: A history of the central crossroads of Glorantha.
- The Elder Races: A short overview of the main non-human species that predate humanity and once dominated the world.
- Theogony: The story of the gods of Glorantha, primarily arranged by element (Darkness, Water, Earth, Fire, and Air).
- Time: A history of Glorantha since the first Dawn.
- Gods of the Lunar Way: The new gods of the Lunar religion.
- Redline History of the Lunar Empire: A comprehensive history of the Lunar Empire since its founding and going until the early Hero Wars.
- Gloranthan Magic: A short essay on the Gloranthan Runes, types of magic, and some theories about what is magic.
- Gods and Mortals: An overview of gods, mortals, and those who straddle both worlds.
- Sartar Magical Union: A list of the magical units that served Prince Argrath in his war against the Lunar Empire.
An Excellent Companion to the award-winning Guide to Glorantha!
What the Critics Say
"Drawing on long out-of-print sources, and including new materials, this belongs in the collection of new Glorantha fans and old timers alike… vividly told, beautifully illustrated, and inspirational."—Andrew Logan Montgomery, Exploring the Otherworlds of Fiction, Magic, and Gaming.
"Awesome…rich in detail. …Quite surprisingly, Chaosium has managed to produce an introductory book that is also interesting for veteran fans of Glorantha."—El Runeblogger (review is in English).
"Be it because you want to run a campaign, to expropriate concepts wholesale, to get inspiration, to pleasantly read as a fragmented novel before bed time, or to adorn your coffee table thanks to its stunning imagery, you want The Glorantha Sourcebook. Surprise; it also supports RuneQuest Glorantha which just came out! Not many roleplaying books can be purchased for such a broad range of uses."—Antonios S. review, RPG.Net.
"The Glorantha Sourcebook is an excellent introduction and guide, and probably the exact amount you’ll ever need to run your own Glorantha campaign. Perhaps best of all is the strong visual aesthetic, which mashes up the styles of many bronze age cultures. Glorantha has kind of lacked this in the past and having it now really breathes life into the world and fires the imagination."—Vintage RPG.
"The best most affordable introduction to the rich fantasy world of Glorantha so far."—Runeblogger review, RPG.Net.
Physical Product Settings
Is Physical Product: [Y]
Has Inventory: [Y]
United States: [Y]
United Kingdom: [Y]
Is PDF Available: [Y]
PDF Product Name: [The Glorantha Sourcebook - PDF]
PDF Product Link: [/the-glorantha-sourcebook-pdf/]
Has Physical Product: [Y]
Is Physical Available: [N]
Physical Product Name: [Y]
Physical Product Link: [Y]
- Year Published:
- Full Color PDF
- Page Count:
- Greg Stafford, Jeff Richard, Michael O'Brien, Sandy Petersen
- Jason Durall
- Cover Artist:
- Jon Hodgson
- Darya Makarava, Simon Bray, Colin Driver, Lawrence Keogh
- Interior Artist(s):
- Dan Barker, Bernard Bittler, Simon Bray, Antonia Doncheva, Jed Dougherty, Rich Fleider, Lisa Free, Merle Insinga, Kalin Kadiev, Jennifer Lange, Michelle Lockamy, Jan Pospíšil, Jakob Rebelka, John Snyder, Tom Sullivan, Eric Vanel
I'm still reading The Glorantha Sourcebook as it warrants constant visits. The world is beautifully presented with sections that detail the geography, history, creatures, gods, time and magic of the overall world, Dragon Pass and the Lunar Empire. Highly recommended.
I was absolute new to Glorantha, and this was a really concentrate global view really worthy. I readed from start to end and them, after few months, re-readed. The enlightment was awesome
After a 20 year gap from playing games in Glorantha this book has proven to be an absolute delight from the moment it was unboxed. Gorgeous art to supplement serious background information. Has become my top supplement of all time. PERIOD.
I got introduced to the glorantha world by this edition (RQG) . I felt overwelmed by the great deal of information so I got this book. It was a great overview of all glorantha world, specially of the dragon pass part.
This new “Glorantha Sourcebook” is a beautiful production, collecting cleaned-up and expanded and lavishly illustrated versions of all the obscure magazine articles that got us all interested in Greg Stafford’s fantasy world of Glorantha (the setting for “RuneQuest,” “HeroQuest” and “13th Age Glorantha”) thirty or forty years ago. System-free, player-friendly and highly recommended.