Journey to Jonstown #1- RuneQuest-Glorantha community content on DriveThruRPG
The Jonstown Compendium is Chaosium's community new content resource for RPG content set in Greg Stafford's mythic universe Glorantha. The site launched late last year, and is now brimming with titles!
Rocks Fall, Diana Probst ($5.00, 16 page PDF)
This short-to-evening-length scenario is designed to slot in to any RQG campaign, as a one-shot fight for those times when a troll cave is absolutely required, or the pacing of the game calls for violence.
- Reviews from R'lyeh review: "...particularly suitable for a combat orientated group of player characters or a combat capable group looking for a change of pace."
Arrows of War, Martin Helsdon ($1.00, 5 page PDF)
This is a mini-scenario for the RuneQuest Colymar Campaign, set a week before the events of THE DRAGON OF THE THUNDER HILLS.
- Reviews from R'lyeh review: "another decent scenario to run as part of the Colymar-set campaign from the RuneQuest Gamemaster Screen Pack in and around Apple Lane."
Tales of the Sun County Militia Vol 1 Sandheart, Jon Webb (($3.95, 39 page PDF)
The characters play the role of Sun County militiamen based at the border hamlet of Sandheart. They are the law. The first half of the volume provides a description of Sandheart and its surrounds, six characters ready to play, spirit cults, important NPCs and further details on how to generate new player characters. The second half details an introductory scenario – No Country for Cold Men – pitting the militia against a group of violent lawbreakers. Volume 2 is in preparation.
- Reviews from R'lyeh review: "If you are looking for an interesting set-up, the opportunity to run a scenario in a more organised and civilised setting with player characters who have the authority and the duty to act in Sun County’s best interests—despite their less than upright and morally upstanding reputations, (this) is an opportunity to run and roleplay a campaign that is very different to other RQG scenarios."
The Fertile Ground, Michael Paul O’Sullivan ($4.99, 22 page PDF)
A short adventure that explores the conflict between the Beast and Man Runes. It is aimed at newly generated adventurers or those with limited experience.
- Reviews from R'lyeh review: "...presents opportunities for both roleplaying and combat with a standoff that nicely brings two opposing Runes into conflict and gives room aplenty for the player characters to resolve that standoff."
The Throat of Winter, Austin Conrad ($5.00, 26 page PDF)
Winter Descends on Dragon Pass! When the child Rolf goes missing after a blizzard, his parents Rastolf and Serla grow frantic. They come to the village of Apple Lane begging for help from any who will listen. They come seeking any who will brave the wind and snow of winter to find a little boy. They come seeking adventurers.
- Reviews from R'lyeh review: "...a solid addition to your campaign with nicely done background lore and wintery."
GM and Player Resources
Early Family History, Jacob Andersson (Pay-what-you-want, suggested price $1.00, 12 page PDF)
These tables help you create your adventurer's family background assuming your campaign is set in 1615, instead of 1625.
- Reviews from R'lyeh review: "If you are looking to create characters who enter play during an earlier period, have more history and are older before entering play, or develop more detailed backgrounds for the older NPCs in your campaign, then (this) is the supplement you need."
Temples and Towers, Martin Helsdon ($4.00, 20 page PDF)
Descriptions, illustrations, and floorplans for a selection of temples and towers, together with descriptions and keys.
Rubble Runners - A Collection of Pavis Characters, Jon Hunter ($4.99, 39 page PDF)
A collection 15 highly detailed character descriptions for RuneQuest Glorantha. Set in the locations of New Pavis, the Big Rubble and the Zola Fel valley. These Characters are designed to add depth, realism, their own cadence and a maybe a hint of whimsy to a beloved and classic setting.
- Reviews from R'lyeh review: "solid set of inventive NPCs, a good mix of contacts, friends, foes, employers, and more."
Spirits of Madness, Austin Conrad ($1.00, 3 page PDF)
Spirits of Madness are a type of disease spirit which lurks near places associated with the Moon Rune.
RuneQuest Glorantha A3 Character Sheet, Infinity Engine (Pay-what-you-want, suggested price $0.66, 1 page PDF)
PDF A3 RuneQuest Glorantha character Sheet.
Tables of Contents - Pavis, Big Rubble & River of Cradles,Nick Brooke (free, PDF)
This short free document is a side-by-side comparison of the Tables of Contents, Maps, Cutaways and Views contained in three key sources: Pavis & Big Rubble (RuneQuest Classic / Glorantha Classic), River of Cradles (RuneQuest 3rd Edition) & Pavis: Gateway to Adventure (HeroQuest Glorantha).
Maps of a variety of Gloranthan locations, Rivendell Maps ($7.00, PDF)
Maps of Gringles Pawnshop, Balastor's Barracks Interior, Balastor's Barracks Topside, Zebra Fort, the Rubble of Old Pavis, the Tin Inn, Apple Lane, the Sea Cave.
The Armies and Enemies of Dragon Pass, Martin Helsden ($24.95, 382 page PDF)
This volume presents details of the warriors, soldiers and mercenaries of the opening periods of the Hero Wars, their arms and armor, their cultures, histories and organization, the terrain they traveled, the battlefields on which they fought, their fortifications, their magic, and their gods. Army Lists provide details of the regiments and other entities which fought in this epic conflict, supplemented by numerous illustrations of the participants.
- RPGNet review (Paul St John MacIntosh): "A masterpiece... It's the kind of sourcebook you can dip into only to get lost for hours and re-emerge with glazed eyes. If any other Jonstown Compendium product ever equals it in quality and comprehensiveness, I'll be impressed and incredibly surprised*."
- Exploring the Otherworlds of Fiction, Magic, and Gaming review (Andrew Logan Montgomery): "If The Armies and Enemies of Dragon Pass is any indication of what we can look forward to from the Jonstown Compendium we are all in for a treat. It says something, I think, about the type of fans Glorantha has always tended to attract. Helsdon’s work follows in the footsteps of books like Cults of Prax; it is effectively an academic dissertation of a game book; erudite, professional, leaving no stone unturned, utterly authoritative in its subject matter. If the Gloranthan Renaissance is going to include fan contributions like this, we might actually be looking at a Golden Age."
Want to take part in the Jonstown Compendium Community Content Program?
Under the Jonstown Compendium community content license, fans of Greg Stafford's world of Glorantha can sell and share their own material on DriveThruRPG.
Check out the Jonstown Compendium Guidelines and start creating!