Praise for the Call of Cthulhu Starter Set, from critics and fans alike!
- Reviews from R’lyeh says the Starter Set is "the best introduction to Call of Cthulhu and best starter set for any roleplaying game currently available."
- "Freaking Fantastic" says Seth Skorkowsky in his YouTube review, "… this big beautiful box contains everything a new player would need to get started playing."
- "...an investment that pays off many times over. Get this if you want to start gaming with the Mythos. Everything you need to play and start checking out the rules, plus a good bit more; a slam dunk for me at around 25 USD."—Burning Luck Reviews.
- "Chaosium have done an excellent job creating a gateway, a hell-portal if you will, into the world of Cthulhu-based RPGing at a super affordable price."—boingboing.
- "Everything you need to get your feet wet is in this box… a beautifully put together, carefully thought out collection that allows people () to learn the game easily and relatively quickly. …If Call of Cthulhu interests you, this is currently the best investment you can make."—Never Read The Latin.
- "STYLE 5/5 SUBSTANCE 5/5...this is a magnificent, perfect entry-level product. And no, this isn't misplaced nostalgia about boxed sets of yore. This is exactly how a new entrant should get access into a game as rich and elaborate...Tons of material. Easy to use rules. Dice. A low level price. What more does one want from a starter set?"—Antonios S. review, RPGNet.
- "The gold standard at the moment, and for good reason – it’s a pretty decent collection of adventures, offering multiple full sessions of play... effectively teaching players the underpinnings of the game, and more than adequately setting them up to move on to the rest of the game’s offerings."—Refereeing and Reflection.
"The best constructed starter set I’ve seen in 40+ years of playing RPGs."—SilverAge Scott.
"The best $25 I’ve ever spent getting into a game."—Dana Fogle.
"Perfect gift for a new player... you can't go wrong with this!"—D. Gutierrez.
"This is one of the few products I can confidently say belongs on the shelf of every person who plays RPGs. For a small investment you get hours and hour and hours of adventures with one of the best RPGs ever!"—Peter Piluk.
"I bought this on impulse...I already own the FULL version of the rules. Worth every penny... Chaosium's Stars are Burning Bright...Ia! Ia!"—kevin kaier.
"This is what a "starter set" should be!"—Lucas.
"If you are curious about Call of Cthulhu this is an affordable way to not just get a start but decide whether it's for in general without breaking the bank."—vitruvian7.
"If you're not sure if you'll like Call of Cthulhu, this is a fantastic place to start!"—Colby Ford.
"Twenty-five dollars or so for a lengthy test drive of this new edition is a great deal."—Billy Barnes.
"Held my hand and guided me into the dark dark night... I liked the stepwise introduction to the roleplaying system."—Molly Nelson.
"A fantastic introduction to a game with a rich legacy, and for anyone looking to branch out from Dungeons and Dragons, this is a great starting point."—Michael T Credle Jr.
"If you are interested in the Call of Cthulhu RPG especially if you want to be the Keeper this is a MUST READ. The instructions and scenarios are top notch, and it even comes with a solo game. If you are looking to start, then start here."—Mississippi Justin.