Mythos Terror in the Age of Steam
“We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.”
So said H.P. Lovecraft in the first chapter of his most famous story, "The Call of Cthulhu" (1926). This is also the perfect introduction to Steampunk Cthulhu, for within these stories mankind has indeed voyaged too far, and scientific innovations have opened terrifying vistas of reality, with insanity and worse as the only reward.
The Steampunk genre has always incorporated elements of science fiction, fantasy, horror and alternative history, and certainly the Cthulhu Mythos has not been a stranger to Steampunk. But until now there has never been a Steampunk Cthulhu collection, so here are 18 tales unbound from the tethers of mere airships, goggles, clockwork, and tightly bound corsets; stories of horror, sci-fi, fantasy and alternative realities tainted with the Lovecraftian and the Cthulhu Mythos. Here you will discover Victorian Britain, the Wild West era United States, and many other varied locations filled with anachronistic and sometimes alien technology, airships, submersibles and Babbage engines. But the Victorian era here is not only one of innovation and exploration, but of destruction and dread.
THIS IS A DOWNLOADABLE PRODUCT IN MULTIPLE ELECTRONIC FORMATS (EPUB, MOBI, PRC). Selected and edited by Brian M. Sammons & Glynn Owen Barrass. Cover art by Daniele Serra. 310 pages.
The Tales Included:
- Those Above by Jeffrey Thomas
- The Blackwold Horror by Adam Bolivar
- No Hand to Turn the Key by Carrie Cuinn
- The Reverend Mr. Goodworks & the Yeggs of Yig by Edward M. Erdelac
- Carnacki – The Island of Doctor Munroe by William Meikle
- Pain Wears No Mask by John Goodrich
- Before the Least of These Stars by Lee Clark Zumpe
- The Promised Messiah by D.J. Tyrer
- Unfathomable by Christine Morgan
- The Flower by Christopher M. Geeson
- Tentacular Spectacular by Thana Niveau
- Fall of an Empire by Glynn Owen Barrass & Brian M. Sammons
- The Baying of the Hounds by Leigh Kimmel
- Mr Brass & the City of Devils by Josh Reynolds
- The Source by D.L. Snell
- Happy Birthday, Dear Cthulhu by Robert Neilson
- The Strange Company by Pete Rawlik
Want More? Buy the Printed Book and get the eBook included!
Why just buy the eBook when you get it included with the printed copy?
If you add Steampunk Cthulhu to your cart, the Steampunk Cthulhu eBook will be automatically added as well.