The western-horror story is far older than what most of us would even consider “the west”. For generations the American Indians told dark tales of their own, of spider women, skin-walkers, cannibals, witches, and thunderbirds. When white men ventured into the west, they learned some of these nightmarish stories from the natives—and they brought or created their own as well: tales told around campfires of mournful ghosts and vengeful spirits and terrible monsters native to the wild new land west of the Mississippi.
That’s where Edge of Sundown comes in. This collection brings tales that visit the darker regions of the west, the places steeped in myth, legend, and blood. Meet the men and women who lived there—the monsters within and without. Make no mistake, there are more than a few gun-throwing hardcases in these stories, but by and large our protagonists are ordinary folks caught up in very extraordinary circumstances. Most importantly, this is an anthology of western-HORROR tales, not western-fantasy. No tall tales here, no wink-and-a-nudge-as-it’s-all-good-fun safe betting. We’re looking to give you the creeps, fair and square, no fooling around.
So right about now you should be checking to make sure your guns are loaded, that your holster is oiled, and you’ve got your hat cinched on tight.
Available now from DriveThruFiction: http://www.drivethrufiction.
And as trade paperback: http://www.chaosium.com/edge-of-sundown
The contents of this anthology include:
- The Claw Spurs by John Shirley
- Cemetery Man by Silvia Moreno-Garcia
- Jiang Shi in Chinatown by Kelda Crich
- Innocents Abroad by Don Webb
- Forked Tongue by Cody Goodfellow
- The Buzzard Women by Christine Morgan
- The Flute Players by Bruce L. Priddy
- In Thunder’s Shadow by Edward M. Erdelac
- Silver Wolf by Andrew Kelly
- Whisper by Mark Onspaugh
- The Dark Cell by Jeffrey Thomas
- The Two of Guns by John F.D. Taff
- Red Shadows in Terror Canyon by Lawrence Berry
- Feast of Famine by Brian M. Sammons
- Son of the Wild Moon by Michael G. Szymanski
- Drake Takes a Hand by Pete Rawlik
- The Puppet Master by Sam Stone
- Uncle Gunnysack by C.L. Werner
- The Buzzard by Eric Red