By Greg Stafford
After nearly a quarter century, King of Sartar is now back in print, now fully revised and annotated. This is one of the most important sources of Gloranthan mythology and lore ever written and a must-have for any fan of Glorantha. It is also a work of experimental fiction, a fantasy novel unlike any other.
King of Sartar is comprised of:
- Annotated Argrath’s Saga – the complete saga of Argrath’s adventures in the Hero Wars
- An overview of Orlanthi Mythology, including some of the most important Orlanthi Myths
- The Composite History of Dragon Pass from the Dragonkill to Argrath’s marriage to the Queen of Saird
- The Argrath Book – a compilation of material on Argrath
- Jalk’s Book – material on the Colymar, Boldhome, and the Grazers
Thanks to better layout, the book is actually shorter (256 pages) despite have significant amounts of new material, including:
- The Lost Chapter of Fazzur Wideread
- Annotations giving out the actual dates of the Sacred Kings and of other Hero Wars events (instead of the wildly inaccurate dates in the original edition)
- Countless corrections and additions intended to provide new information for the reader
- Corrected genealogies
- Corrected timelines
- New and better maps
Although the book still contains deliberate internal contradictions and inconsistencies, annotations and other notes allow the Gloranthan scholar to determine the actual dates used by Greg and Jeff. King of Sartar is your guide to the events of the Hero Wars.
What do Gaming Luminaries say about King of Sartar?
“Wise, enigmatic, and impossibly many-sided, King of Sartar is as beguiling as any non-imaginary mythology, but with more dragonewts. Gaming culture’s equivalent of Invisible Cities or Dictionary of the Khazars.” – Robin D. Laws
“If you are unfamiliar with Glorantha, this is your chance to learn of an amazing mythic realm. If you are familiar with Glorantha, what are you waiting for?” – Sandy Petersen
“Some of us have been waiting so many years for this new revision of this book that we lost count. If you don’t know how precious a thing it is that you are holding in your hands right now… OPEN IT UP AND START READING!
Doesn’t matter where, doesn’t matter what. The world tells the tale.” – Mark Rein-Hagen
What the Critics Say
"There aren't many books on the market like King of Sartar. Authoritative yet approachable, fable-like yet (pseudo)scientific, it does a great job of portraying a fictitious world and its mythology as if both truly exist."—Antonios S. review, RPGNet.
Inventory locations for this Product
All products will ship from the closest warehouse, and shipping is calculated per warehouse. We recommend you try to submit orders for a single warehouse at a time. See here for more examples.
eBook Included with Book - Add it to Cart after you choose this.
if you add King of Sartar to your cart, the King of Sartar eBook will be available for free! You should add the eBook to your shopping cart after you add the physical book in order to receive your FREE eBook. Please check your shopping cart for a link to the eBook before you begin the check out process.